I’m trying to get my ducks in a row in terms of legal documentation for my games. I’m not a lawyer, so I’m not going to be able to produce perfect legal jargon. Instead, I’d like to try to avoid problems by making it as human-readable, clear and unambiguous as possible.
Below is what I’ve got so far, plucked and remixed from a few major software providers. Keep in mind this is a work-in-progress draft and is not definitive. The documentation that ships with the final game will supersede anything written here.
Health & Safety
Please pay attention to your health while playing, and respect your limits.
Some portion of the population may experience seizures or blackouts triggered by flashing lights or patterns. Full-screen light flashes may be disabled in the in-game Options menu, but doing so cannot guarantee you will not experience symptoms. If you have an epileptic condition, consult a doctor before playing.
For more information about seizures, contact your doctor or local health authority.
Repetitive motion injuries and eyestrain
Interacting with video games may cause discomfort in the hands, wrists, arms, or eyes. To reduce your chance of injury, consider taking frequent breaks. If you have symptoms of a repetitive motion injury or eyestrain, don’t play until you’re feeling better. If symptoms persist, contact a doctor.
For more information about repetitive motion injuries and eyestrain, contact your doctor or local health authority.
Some people may experience motion sickness while playing. Several motion-related effects may be disabled in the in-game Options menu, but doing so cannot guarantee you will not experience symptoms. If you become sick, stop playing and refrain from strenuous activity until you have recovered.
This game periodically collects and sends analytics data to a remote server. This data is used to measure interest in the game, and inform changes to improve the game (such as difficulty balance.) No effort is made to uniquely identify players of the game.
What Device Data is Collected
- Your IP address (the last two bytes are masked)
- Your location based on IP address: country, region, city, approximate latitude and longitude
- Date and time of the request
- Screen resolution being used
- Main Language of the browser being used (Accept-Language header)
- User Agent of the browser being used (User-Agent header)
- From the User-Agent, we detect the browser, operating system, device used (desktop, tablet, mobile, tv, cars, console, etc.), brand and model.
What Game Data is Collected
- Version ID of the game
- If the game is in play test mode
- Current game play time
- Window resolution of the game
- The name of the troop being fought when battles are started, fled, won, or lost
- The ID of the map being loaded
- The stack trace when an error occurs
- The actors in your party, their levels, classes, and equipment
- Your count of some in-game resources, such as hours remaining
How is Data Anonymized?
- The last 2 bytes of your IP address are masked. Geolocation will be inaccurate.
- No information is sent about individual installs and no effort is made to differentiate individual users.
- all visits and actions raw data are deleted after 24 months 10 days.
- all aggregated reports are deleted after 2 years.
Data Erasure Requests
Because all data recorded is anonymized, it cannot be attributed to an individual person. Therefore, there is no way to request download or deletion of an individual person’s data.
By purchasing and/or downloading and using this Game, you agree, without reservation to be bound by the terms of this EULA. If you do not agree with the terms of this EULA, please do not purchase and/or download and use this Game.
In this EULA the expressions below shall have the meaning assigned to them in this clause, unless the context requires otherwise:
- This “Game”: the software application and/or all of the contents of the files and/or other media, including software setup files, licensed to You by the Creator.
- The Game’s “Creator”: Nathan Bolton.
- “Use”: the access, download, install, copy or benefit from using this Game.
- “You”: you, the final and ultimate user of this Game or the authorized representative of a company or other legal entity that will be the final and ultimate user of this Game, and the company or other legal entity that will be the final and ultimate user of this Game, if applicable.
- The Game’s Creator grants You a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited, revocable license to Use this Game in accordance with this EULA. The Game’s Creator reserves all rights not expressly granted to You.
- This Game’s Creator is and remains the owner of any intellectual property rights with respect to this Game. You shall not acquire any ownership to this Game as result of Your purchase of or Your Use of this Game.
- You Use this Game at Your own risk and the entire risk as to satisfactory quality, performance and accuracy is with You.
- This Game and accompanying documentation are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis without warranty – express or implied – of any kind, and the Creator specifically disclaims the warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. No oral or written advice given by the Game’s Creator, its dealers, distributors, agents or employees shall create a warranty or in any way increase the scope of this warranty and You may not rely upon such information or advice.
This Game’s Creator and any third party that has been involved in the creation, production, or delivery of this Game are under no circumstances liable for consequential or indirect damages (including damage for loss of profit, business interruption, loss of data, and the like arising out of the use or inability to use this Game).